Llyods Metals & Engineers (LMEL) was incorporated on April 5, as a private company in the name of Nagarjuna Metals and Engineers. The company was converted into a public company on September 9, 1986. The company is having manufacturing facilities for fabricating S S Patta with a capacity of 1,800 tpa and 10,000 tpa for fabrication of equipments etc. The company has been promoted by R N Gupta.
LMEL is operating 2,70,000 TPA capacity sponge iron Plant. It has taken the technology from Orissa Sponge Iron (OSIL) and installed their plant at Ghugus near Chandrapur (M S). OSIL & MECON both have entered an agreement with LMEL to set up their sponge iron plant.
The main equipments kiln, cooler and other major structures were designed and supplied by Lloyds Steel Engineering Division, Murbad. Lloyds Steel Engineering Division has full infrastructure facilities to fabricate kilns and heavy equipments and structures.
- Lloyds Steel Industries
- Lloyds Metals and Engineers
- Lloyds Line pipes
Products manufactured by the company:
- Sponge Iron
- Pipes & Tubes Steel
- HR/CR Coils/Sheets/Strips
- 1977 - Llyods Metals & Engineers (LMEL) was incorporated on April 5, as a private company in the name of Nagarjuna Metals and Engineers. The company was converted into a public company on September 9, 1986. The company is having manufacturing facilities for fabricating S S Patta with a capacity of 1,800 tpa and 10,000 tpa for fabrication of equipments etc. The company was promoted by R N Gupta.
- 1987 - LMEL obtained the license to manufacture 12,000 tpa of C R Strips.
- 1990 - The name of the company was changed to Llyods Metals & Engineers.
- 1991 - The company commissioned additional 4-Hi cold rolling mill thereby increasing the installed capacity of the plant from 12,000 tpa to 46,000 tpa.
- 1993 - 900 number of equity shares subscribed for by signatories to the Memorandum of Understanding. 50,05,000 shares allotted to the promoters.
- 1994 - 50,05,900 bonus shares issued in proportion of 1:1.
- 1995 - The sponge iron division's profitability was affected by non availability of higher transportation cost. It proposed to undertake an iron ore mining project, construction of railway sidings and setting up captive power plant by using the energy generated from waste gases produced in the process of making sponge iron.
- 1996 - The sponge iron division undertook the wake of the second phase to double the sponge iron plant capacity.
- 1997 - Lloyds Metals was set up as part of the backward integration of Lloyds steel into sponge iron. The company has been awarded a mining lease of 450 hectares at Gadchiroli (Maharashtra).
- 1998 - The Credit Analysis and Research (CARE) has downgraded Lloyds Metals & Engineering Ltd's (LMEL) three non-convertible debenture issues (NCDs) from A-to BB. The rating has been downgraded from strong to default category.
- 1999 - Sponge iron division energy conservation survey has been carried out by Petroleum Research Institution. Accordingly cooling towers fan metallic blades have been replaced with fiber blades to reduce power consumption of the fans. Sponge Iron Division has been successful in completely absorbing the technology obtained indigenously.
- 2007 - The company has splits its face value from Rs10 to Rs2.
- 2008 - Lloyds Metals & Engineers has appointed B B Chadha as additional independent director with effect from this board meeting i.e. July 28, 2008. Lloyds Metals & Engineers has informed that as per intimation received from IDBI Bank, V M Bharathy has been appointed as nominee director of IDBI Bank with effect from September 08, 2008, in place of D K Kambale.